Compensation & Litigation
Gerard Egan leads our Compensation & Litigation group. Gerard Egan is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law and specialises in Workcover, Work Injury and Comcare cases. Gerard's full profile
- Litigation and dispute resolution – Insurance, Medical Law, Motor Vehicle claims, Comcare Law, Workcover cases, Professional Negligence and Occupiers Liability
- Defective product claims
- Claims against deceased estates under Family Provision legislation
- Claims for compensation for acquisitions of land under the Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act.
- Superannuation payment claims and total permanent disability policy claims
- Co-ownership of land disputes
In the 1930's to 1980's the NSW Department of Primary Industries employed stock inspectors to oversee the control of cattle ticks in Northern NSW. They became known as "tickies". They were required to 'dip' the cattle in toxic chemicals, including Arsenic and DDT, to kill the ticks. As the years went by these chemicals caused many problems in the community. Gerard acted for a number of the deceased tickies' families and fought the Government (and GIO, their insurer) to obtain compensation. The first such case was fought for 6 years in the Compensation Court and NSW Court of Appeal and resulted in an award of hundreds of thousands of dollars. This opened the way for settlements for a number of other families' claims. The brave widow who fought the first case and Gerard became the subject of a "60 Minutes" story by the late Richard Carlton.
- Motor Accidents Authority
- Workers Compensation Commission
- District Court
- Supreme Court
- Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
- Financial Services Ombudsman